Saturday, September 26, 2009

You are What You Eat???



I just want to talk a little about diet. As CrossFitters we are all consumed with how we can become faster, stronger, fitter athletes. Not only are we training hard in the gym, and striving for those PR's - but what we do outside of the gym becomes even more important for us. I'm talking about what food we put in our mouths. Instead of reaching for whatever tastes good, we become obsessed with journaling every morsel consumed and carry our trusty food scales with us everywhere- "just in case". Preparing for the fitness competition opened my eyes to the fact that I am completely obsessed with my diet. Some would say that this is a good thing, others would label it a eating disorder. I suppose its a mixture of the both in some ways. I started journaling what I eat on a daily basis around 4 years ago when I found CrossFit- I still have every journal and will not get rid of them. I literally can look back to October of 05 and see what I ate on that day and the times I ate and how I felt after eating it. I know - silly and strange and a little crazy. I started asking myself why do I do this?Is it healthy? Surly after eating Zone and Paleo for over 4 years I have it down by now and have eliminated the need to journal it. I figured out that it goes way deeper than just wanting to know if Im getting the right nutrition. It's because I LOVE structure! If I don't write down what I eat I seriously feel a little off. I get a sense of satisfaction when I look at my journal at the end of the day and see a perfectly balanced, healthy day all laid out before me. If I slip up I write that down too- then when I review I see that black spot and I do not like the way it makes me feel. It makes me feel defeated in some way and I HATE that feeling. Don't you? I have made a ton of strength breakthroughs since I tweeked my diet a couple months ago so of course I will continue to journal my meals and the PR's keep coming.

I want to challenge you to start writing down your food, if you don't already, and see what happens to your fitness in the gym. Write down how you feel at the end of the day as well - promise you will start feeling better. I'm giving a Zone/Paleo lecture today to around 20+ athletes and I am excited to get them excited about their nutrition. I see a lot of weight being shed, as well as alot of strength being gained in the next few weeks.

So----what is YOUR excuse? I know---the kids, work, the house....blah blah blah. We are a high revved society and we are busier than we have ever been and over scheduled to say the least. I believe that the phrase "Im too busy" has become more of a badge of honor than a reality. By saying "Im so busy" it shows we have things to do and an excuse why we haven't done the things we SAY we're going to do - like eat well or exercise. Am I hitting a chord yet?? It takes 15 minutes to measure and pack your meals for the next day. Thats less time than it takes to drive to fast food market, or wait in line at a grocery store deli. DO THE WORK and watch what goals you can reach. You will NEVER know where you COULD be, if you don't start moving in that direction. Better yet - think about where you CAN be (physically) two weeks from now - if you only took the steps to start today??? Throw out the shit food from your pantry - your kids don't need the HoHo's either and fill it with good Zone Paleo foods that will nourish your body and fuel your workouts. Make a change. Life happens real fast, and if we don't take charge of ours, it will fall apart. We will age quicker, gain those extra pounds and become lazy people who sit on the sidelines of life and watch OTHER people live it. Jump in - take charge - life the life YOU create.......with gusto and with passion.

I believe in you :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you. I loved you post. I just can't write down everything because the amount of beer would depress me too much!

Karen said...

Thanks Shari for this post. I was feeling bad about not being "perfect" this weekend after the Big Sur, but then I asked myself, "What IS perfect about this situation?" The answer is that just realizing that I didn't like how I felt after not eating good healthy food WAS perfect in its own way. It was a perfect reminder of how good it feels to be someone who takes care of their body and wants to nourish it ALL THE TIME. It was PERFECT because I realized that I love treating my body well and enjoying the food that keeps me healthy. Many times our black spots are truly perfect gifts that remind us of the things that are so important to us.

Karen said...

Thanks Shari for this post. I was feeling bad about not being "perfect" this weekend after the Big Sur, but then I asked myself, "What IS perfect about this situation?" The answer is that just realizing that I didn't like how I felt after not eating good healthy food WAS perfect in its own way. It was a perfect reminder of how good it feels to be someone who takes care of their body and wants to nourish it ALL THE TIME. It was PERFECT because I realized that I love treating my body well and enjoying the food that keeps me healthy. Many times our black spots are truly perfect gifts that remind us of the things that are so important to us.

Sunday Nights said...

Hi, I just came across this blog and am so inspired. Were you always this in shape or did you look different a long time ago? How long have you been eating the Zone way and do you feel it has made a difference in your body? Thanks so much!!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, you are inspiring!